Your Ad Here

Monday, October 25, 2010

Primal Scream's Mani talks exclusively to Music News about drink & drugs

Primal-Screams-Mani-talks-exclusively-to-Music-News-about-drink-and-drugs
With UK drink/drug service cuts and changes Carl Stanley asked Mani, Primal Scream and original Stone Roses bassist his views. 

Have our drink/drug services improved since the days when you joined the Stone Roses?

"Comparing today's drink/drug services to when I started out with the Stone Roses, well there was nothing, people were basically left on the streets, that or prison, and there were a lot of people left to it back then, it was scary, way things are going we could be looking at a similar situation to the old Tory Government, because that's when it all happened, Heroin and the crime that went with it, and there was no help at all."

New Government term "Recovery" meaning to use time lines/dead lines for drink/drug service users to rehabilitate to, hoping this more disciplined method can show improved results in service users getting clean and the time it takes..?

"As far as recovery goes, I think people need to wake up and realize it's a disease, I can't imagine the Government saying to a cancer patient "you have 2 yrs to get better' you know what I mean, it's the same for addiction, it's a disease and should be treated as one. Feel strongly about this, and whether people like it or not, it needs to be treated the same as any thing else that makes you feel as ill, it's a disease."

Spending cuts are hitting all area's of Government spending, and the UK drink/drug services will definitely feel these cut backs,what's your views on the cuts,do you agree..?

"In the industry I'm in we pay 40% tax, I contribute my fair share so from that point of view I would rather see my Government spend money on drink/drug services than war. People today rely on these services so much, what a negative impact it would be to cut back on them, what's that saying. Under this Government it could be like going back to the old Tory Government, in the way of these services, so if you think you need the help the drink/drug services can offer, get in there, no one is going to help you if you don't make that first move to help your self."

Mani's storey:
'Me personally, I had an issue with alcohol, so I booked my self into a rehab, I'm lucky to have the means to do so but obviously not everyone can. to sum up what it was like for me going through rehab is...; like I have been walking around most of my life with a ruck sack full of bricks, weighing me down physically and mentally and going through the councilling in rehab allowed me to one by one take out the bricks, baggage from not talking about things I had stored up over the years.So I talked to the councilors and detoxed, the councilling was effective for me and now I can say my life is so much better, my relationship, my home life, I get much more work done musically and everything is much clearer, a good living.'

Stay tuned to more musicians sharing their views in the coming days
.

No comments:

Post a Comment